Monday, May 31, 2010

It's about time...

I've been avid blog follower for well over a year from now and kept promising myself that I would create one for our family...well today is the day. (Note to self: I can cross this off my list of goals before I turn 30.) Before I get too much credit, I am currently trapped in my bedroom with just a computer and a sleeping 4-week old (our house is getting cleaned, and I am staying out of the way), so I really had no excuses today.

Since I feel like I started this blog a little late given that Rhett was born January 18, 2008 and Emma was born April 28, 2010, I am going to start with some of our more recent photos and tackle the present. Hopefully, I will eventually back track and pick up the time period beginning with Rhett's birth.

With that, here is our update...

We recently moved from Pearland, TX (Houston suburb) to Nederland, TX (Shaun's hometown) in order to be closer to family and raise our kids around extended family. Shaun is working for Invista in Orange, TX, and I am currently on maternity leave. I work for Cameron in Houston and am keeping my fingers crossed that I will be allowed to work from home after my leave of absence which ends July 19.

Rhett is clearly a 2 year old and while that has lots of challenges, Shaun and I both agree that this age is really fun. I am convinced that 2 year olds are funny to balance out the challenging 2 year old willfulness. For example, Rhett will run away any time we want him to do something despite how "fun" we make things sound. But, on the flipside, yesterday he called me into his room after being tucked in for nap. When I went to see what he needed, he told me "I'm eating my sheets." This might confuse some of you, but being super-mom, I realized that was his way of telling me that I pulled his sheets up too high. Then, I did the unthinkable in one of my less than stellar mom moments and left the dog in the room when I closed his door. Two seconds later the poor guy was screaming and practically inconsolable. After one more time singing "Twinkle Twinkle" while silently laughing to myself, Rhett was finally asleep for nap. Another classic moment from Rhett occurred when I was feeding the baby on the couch with Rhett sitting next to me. He put his feet up right next to me and told me "I 'meed' a massage." How could I resist??? Rhett also loves playing with his baby sister on what he calls her "place mat," which is really a play mat. Rhett is singing lots of songs, amazing us with his vocabulary (if I had to brag on my kid, I would say his vocabulary is incredible...he must get it from his dad) and sense of humor, and enjoying outside play time even in the heat.

Emma is just over a month old. While she's not the easiest baby in the whole wide world, she is pretty easy (definitely easier this time around). She's 'easy' in the following ways: she was born understanding night and day (doesn't mean she sleeps through the night, but after night time feedings she easily goes back to sleep), she was born knowing how to breastfeed (within one hour of her being in our hospital room she was successfully latched on), and she prefers back or side sleeping as opposed to (gasp) stomach sleeping. Our biggest challenge right now is napping...we consider it a good day if she takes 1 to 2 naps a day that last longer than 30 minutes and are outside of someone's loving embrace. She is smiling and much more attentive, and I recently referred to her as a "really sweet baby," she cries but not inconsolable cries...it usually happens when I have to leave her for 15-20 minutes to help Rhett with something. At least 50% of the time at night, she sleeps in her bassinet. The other 50% of the time she sleeps in bed with Shaun and I. This is a godsend for us since Rhett only slept in our arms at night and and during naps for 4 months (bless his heart, he was a stomach sleeper and we refused to let him do so until he was 4 months old).

We love our new house and our new town! We are so excited to begin this phase of our life. We never imagined we would have two kids so close in age, but we are so blessed and can't wait to watch them grow up together. In fact we're so excited, we will share our journey on this blog to share with you. Disclaimer: I am making no promises on the frequency, timeliness, or chronological order of our posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment