Saturday, August 11, 2012

Honesty and Handsome Shoes

What I love about four year olds is that they are not quite smart enough to lie.  So, if I ask Rhett if he washed his hands after going to the bathroom, I know I am going to get an honest answer.  Same goes for brushing teeth.  I know this won't last forever, but it sure makes things easier for the time being.  Every time that Rhett has ever gotten in trouble at school, he always tells me the second that I pick him up.  According to the teachers, he's about the best behaved boy that they have, so I don't worry too much about him making trouble at school.  Last week I asked him if he's ever gotten a timeout in pre-K (which he started at the beginning of the summer), and he said no.  But then, on Thursday, he woke up around 10:00pm calling for me, and told me crying that he did get timeout one time in pre-K.  Of course, I thought this was just precious, but I also recognized the honesty days are going to be numbered.

Also, this past week he surprised me with something.  Every night I ask him what shoes he wants to wear the next day.  Sometimes he'll ask me which ones match the clothes he picked out, and then he usually goes for them.  On this particular evening, he didn't like my first answer because he doesn't like to wear tie shoes to school because he's afraid they will come untied at nap, and then no one will tie them for him.  So, I gave him a second option.  He didn't like that option and proclaimed "I don't "wike" handsome shoes."  I got a good chuckle out of this because I have never called them "handsome shoes," so I don't know where he got it from.  A couple of days later, however, he told me that he wanted to wear his "handsome shoes."  If you're curious what handsome shoes look like, you're in luck because I got a picture.  He also "surprised" me by getting dressed in the morning, and he wanted me to take his picture.


And, because I can't resist the crazy bedhead shots of Emma, here she is on a typical morning before school.  She really likes to sit in the "big kid" chair.

1 comment: