Saturday, June 14, 2014

Swimming Lessons and More

I signed the two kids up for a week of swimming lessons to kick off the summer and to prepare for our first vacation.  Emma was pretty worried about these lessons, and after day two, I was pretty sure she was going to get kicked out.  These lessons are one-on-one, but literally the owner had a talk with me about how it's not fair that the instructor has to chase Emma around the pool because she gets out and runs away.  Oh, and he also let me know that she was in the lead for the drama queen award.  On day 3, we made the decision to flip instructors, so this meant that Emma would be with the owner (a rather stern older man, but a take-control kid of guy with 39 years of experience) and Rhett would switch to the younger lady teacher that Emma started with.  What a great idea.  By the end of day 3, Emma wasn't crying, but she wasn't happy about it either.  By day 5, the girl loved lessons and was so proud to show me her skills.  To be honest, she's not a "natural," but she likes it, and that's all that matters.  And, I was impressed with her 30 second unassisted back float.  Never in a million years did I think she would make that kind of turn around in three days.  While on vacation the next week all she wanted to do was swim and practice her "lesson" with me.  So, we will definitely be making a big effort to keep swimming this year.





Rhett pretty much picked up where he left off, and he is so close to being a very self-sufficient swimmer.  I wish we could have done two weeks of lessons for him, but the timing didn't work right for us this year.  He was introduced to treading water and the backstroke this year.  I think the more that he just plays in swimming pools, he'll develop his skills quite a bit on his own.  He's a very active kid, so I know he'll pick it up quick.



Here are some other random pictures...
 

I love this picture of the supportive big brother at his sister's dance recital.



And, here's a neighborhood birthday party that was followed by an epic water gun fight!

No comments:

Post a Comment