Friday, March 11, 2011

Top 10 Children's Books in Our House

Okay, so I intend to make this post a work in progress, but as many of you know, I've always enjoyed creating a little Top 10 List. We have a baby shower coming up, and the pressure is on to pick the BEST BABY/KID Book to add to the gift. It got me thinking that it would be fun to create a personal Top 10 List of Toddler Books (ages 1-2) and Preschooler Books (ages 3-4). I am by no means an expert, nor do I own all the "classics" or current favorites. But, we probably own in the neighborhood of 300+ children's books, and we read about 4-5 every day, so I have a decent population to work with. And, hopefully, a couple of months from now, I will remember to come back and update the list...

Toddler Books
10. Pat the Bunny
9. The Belly Button Book
8. Snuggle Puppy
7. Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You
6. The Barnyard Dance
5. Eight Silly Monkeys
4. Moo Baa La La La
3. The Going to Bed Book
2. Brown Bear
1. Goodnight Moon

I must admit that we don't own #10, but I remember it from my babysitting days. The list is overpopulated by Sandra Boynton books, but that's my personal preference at the moment. Brown Bear helped during a lot of evacuation car riding, so it might be my favorite. And, Goodnight Moon tops the list because I think everyone I know reads it regularly to their babies. Note to those reading Goodnight Moon: Goodnight Goon is a really fun parody book that I read with Rhett these days.


Preschool Books
10. Click Clack Moo Cows that Type
9. Would You Rather Be a Bullfrog?
8. Curious George
7. But No Elephants
6. Olivia
5. There's a Wocket in My Pocket
4. The Llama Llama series complete with all the Llama Drama
3. There's a Monster at the End of this Book
2. The Little Critter Collection (especially I Was so Mad and Just Go to Bed)
1. One Fish Two Fish

I couldn't really decide which book was deserving of the #1 spot, so I picked this one because I still think it's funny and it is a classic. #10 isn't one of Rhett's favorites, but it is really funny for adults. Listening to Rhett try to retell Wocket in My Pocket is so hilarious as are his selections when reading Would You Rather be a Bullfrog.

Honorable Mentions
1. Guess How Much I Love You? -
Not my favorite, as it is rather long, but who doesn't love "I love you to the moon and back?" That is probably my favorite quote from any kids book I've read.
2. Are You My Mother? - This one is also kind of long, but if you skip to the end, I must admit that the "Snort" is one my favorite characters in childrens books.
3. Where the Sidewalk Ends - So, could the list be complete without a little poetry?? I know this age probably doesn't really "get" poems, but I love hearing Shaun read some of these to Rhett. And, Rhett really seems to love it too.
4. The Potty Train - This is a quick read, but probably a little too metaphoric (is that the right word??) for little ones to really understand. That being said, it's my favorite "learning to use the potty" book.
5. But Not the Hippopotamus - I love the clever ending! (While I'm at it, let's throw in yet another Sandra Boynton, and add What's Wrong Little Pookie? to my honorable mentions)
6. Oh Say Can You Say Dinosaur - how could I not mention this one since I've had so many people comment on the blog post from this past summer. I'd also like to include the whole How Do Dinosaurs...series because they are cute and fun. The reason these dinosaur books are on Honorable Mention is because they really tend to be "boy" books. If I include "boy" books, I'd have to include "girl" books, and I don't know the "girl" books yet. Although, I have visions of Fancy Nancy and Pinkalicious in my head...

I know I didn't get all the titles right, but this was fun, wasn't it?? If you have additional thoughts for me, please send them my way...maybe your input will be incorporated when I update the list!

No comments:

Post a Comment